Monday, April 15, 2013

The Song Remains The Same

It can be a weird thing, starting a blog.

Regardless of the subject matter, it's usually started as a personal pursuit. This blog was no different when I decided to disregard any/all impulse against the idea to go ahead and start furiously typing my unimportant thoughts about music and sending them into the cloud to join the rest of the rain storm. I wanted a chance to write regularly, give myself structure, and maybe meet a few cool people.

I did that, for a time.
I wrote semi-regularly, I introduced weekly and monthly features, and I conducted interviews with members of Ohbijou, Miesha and the Spanks, Crocodiles, Ketamines, Bayonets!!!, and Dinosaur Bones (look at all the plural nouns... there's a blog post in that). I had some fun.

It can be a weird thing, continuing a blog after a lengthy lapse.

The online landscape has changed around me, but one thing that hasn't changed much at all is people's reliance on the same handful of websites for their information. It can be tough to get anybody to look at your low-fi efforts in a world of HD, of HTML5, of live-streamed everything. I, for my part, am going to try my best to earn your eyeballs. The rest of this year will bring a new focus: less on the playlists from my radio show, more reportage from the front lines of the crowd; less about the same "blog favourite" artists of the moment, more bandwidth spent on artists and music I truly care about and think is worth sharing.  There might even be an overhaul of the site's design in the near future.

I meant well when I started this thing. I mean better now.
Come with me. It sounds great in here...

(below is an example of what I have done in the same vein as SSH since I fell off the deskchair... Zachary Lucky, Mike Feuerstack and Bry Webb moving musical mountains at MoSoFest last year in Saskatoon... more like this to come)

No comments:

Post a Comment